There are lots of ways to get involved in our community and many different ways to support the work of Library Carpentry and The Carpentries.
- Host a workshop
- Apply to be an instructor
- Contribute to our lessons
- Become a member
- What's next?
- Read about others’ experiences
Become a member
Libraries are a perfect host for Carpentries activities on campus and can be an invaluable hub for learning data science skills. Departments, labs, and other groups at institutions fall into a cycle of constantly revisiting training programs to keep their communities up-to-date with current software and data tools and approaches. Libraries offer a home for these activities and can help with coordination and integration of computational training within your organization. A variety of membership opportunities exist which a library can subscribe to and grow Carpentries activities at your organization. Read more about The Carpentries membership options.
- The Strategic Value of Library Carpentry and The Carpentries to Research Libraries
- New England Libraries Team Up to Become Carpentries Members
Great new! ELIXIR teams up with @thecarpentries to boost its training programme: https://t.co/XaH8pJaTJc We'll organise ~20 Software and Data Carpentry workshops and 2 Instructor Training workshops in ELIXIR Nodes!— ELIXIR Europe (@ELIXIREurope) August 20, 2018
In addition to teaching and hosting workshops, here is a list of possible next steps to consider:
- Develop a lesson that your community can share with the world
- Consider leading community initiatives and/or volunteer to help with events (e.g. CarpentryCon)
- Help mentor others joining the community
- Explore new strategic directions for the community
- Share information with a library colleague or your library director
Read about others’ experiences
We’ve gathered a number of stories from the community so that you can read about others’ experiences. Before you even consider your next steps, learning about what others have done can help.