Tips and Tricks
Making a handout
General notes on OpenRefine
If learners are using a browser other than Firefox, or OpenRefine does not automatically open for them when they click the .exe file, have them point their browser at http://127.0.0.1:3333/ or http://localhost:3333 to launch the program.
Mac users with the newest operating system will have to allow this to run by “allowing everything” to run. They can change the setting back after the exercise.
- Some students will run into issues with
- finding the .exe file once the software has been unzipped
- finding the data file on their computers after downloading
- If OpenRefine crashes when launched from a network share drive, do the following:
- Copy the OpenRefine folder to a local drive not mapped to a network share, e.g. “C:\Users\JaneDoe”
- Open a Windows Command prompt
- Change the working directory to the OpenRefine folder at “C:\Users\JaneDoe”
- Run openrefine.exe
- If a learner is unable to install OpenRefine on their computer due to IT restrictions for example, there are cloud services available that they could try: